What’s “new” about the “New Church?”
A very common question, to be sure. Well, it all started just over 200 years ago… the main branches of the Christian church had become less correct, and one man named Emanuel Swedenborg had written volumes about how Christianity was missing the point. Some readers of Swedenborg realised he was right, and formed a new organisation that would strip away the centuries of politics and tradition and get back to what Christianity was supposed to be about: loving God and loving each other. Everything else could be seen as merely a difference of opinion if those two main principles reigned supreme through this new church.
As a result we believe in a positive Christianity, one where we look to the best in ourselves and others while still holding ourselves accountable to a higher standard and taking responsibility for our lives. Nowadays we’re not so much “new” as we are “different.” We still keep the name, and yet make every effort to incorporate the ideals that were instrumental in being “new” over two centuries ago.
We come from all walks of life and states across Australia. We believe that:
- God is Love and nothing but what is good can come from God, because His very nature is Love. God came into the world in the form of Jesus Christ, who is the one and only God.
- The Old and New Testaments have a deeper meaning revealed in the Writings of Emanuel Swedenborg, helping people learn how to live happy and useful lives to eternity.
- All religions have goodness in them. There are many paths and gates into the heavenly city, New Jerusalem.
- Heaven is for everyone who wants to live there. Heaven is where people (angels) love God and others and want to be useful. While people are free to choose to live in hell, God wants everyone to live with him to eternity.
- There will be no “last judgement” for God does not judge us, but we judge ourselves by what we love and how we live. People are saved who love God and try to live a good life according to what they believe is true.
- Marriage can last forever for God blesses people with a special love in marriage that goes on after death, even to eternity.
- God’s providence is powerful and unending. God guides each person’s spiritual path, from the smallest things up to the biggest things, and His angels are with us “every moment of ever”.